Visiting Ostend with your dog
Taking in a breath of fresh air at the seaside: we all love it. Our four-legged friends too enjoy running and playing on the beach. Are you looking for a dog-friendly hotel to spend the night in Ostend? And where is your dog welcome if you want to have a bite to eat? We have listed a few practical things to make your visit to Ostend go smoothly, both for you and your dog.
Is my dog allowed on the beach?
Dogs are allowed on the beaches without any restriction from October 1 to March 31. Dogs remain welcome on the beach in April, May, June and September, but only before 10 a.m. and after 6:30 p.m. During the months of July and August dogs are allowed before 10 a.m. and after 8 p.m.
All year long and 24/24, dogs are allowed in the following areas:
- between beach head 5 on the east bank and the border with the municipality of Bredene
- on the 'Little Beach' between the west pier and the west jetty. Dogs must be kept on a leash on this part!
- in the area between Westlaan (Raversijde) (beach head 15bis) and the border with the municipality of Middelkerke (between beach heads 19 and 20. Dogs must be kept on a leash on this part!
Dogs must always be kept on a leash:
- on the 'Little Beach' between the west pier and the west jetty
- on the Sportstrand
- in the area between Westlaan (Raversijde) (beach head 15bis) and the border with the municipality of Middelkerke (between beach heads 19 and 20).
The owner and / or supervisor of the dog should always be able to take full control of his/her dog. Public order may not be disturbed by the presence of the dog.
Click here to view a map.
The city has 9 dog parks where your dog can run free.
Dog friendly hotels
Looking for a relaxing stay in a hotel? Of course this is possible in Ostend!
The following accommodations are dog friendly:
What to do with your dog's poo?
The City by the Sea puts in a lot of effort to keep the public domain tidy and clean.
So pick up your dog's poo in a poo bag. Then throw the bag in one of the many dog poo bins or waste baskets.
Don't leave dog poo in the streets or on the beach! Getting fined is never pleasant, and certainly not during your holiday.