In this place in 1632 Guillaume Van Dycke already sold potable water. For many years his successors, owners of The Water House, had the monopoly on the sale of potable water. This water was stored in a cistern under the house. It wasn't until 1923 that the city of Ostend was connected to the supply line of drinkable water. For het Waterhuis this meant the end of its role of water supplier. Nowadays it is a popular place both with Ostend locals als with tourists. They enjoy the range of wines by the glass and the large selection of pastas.