Fort Napoleon is temporarily closed for renovations starting from 16/09/2018. At the end of the 18th century, France annexed the region. Napoleon feared an invasion from England via Ostend harbour and therefore ordered an imposing fort to be built in the dunes in 1811. In both world wars, the fort got a new lease of life as artillery quarter for the German army. Since 1995, Erfgoed Vlaanderen (the Flemish Heritage Association) has managed the fort. It made sure it was restored and turned into an open monument.
Temporarily closed for renovations.
Default price:€8 (Herita leden betalen €6)