Agenda: music, nature and parks, maritime and sight in Ostend

Leopold Park

Leopold Park was laid out in 1860 on the old town fortifications. The beautiful bandstand was inaugurated in 1885. The world-famous floral clock was placed there in 1963, where it still stands now.

Read more

Two-master De Nele

Past, present and future go hand in hand on board this two-master. The 'Nele' was built after the design of the historical Oostende two-mast smack and in accordance with the best sailing traditions.

Read more

Seafishing

Get on board for an unforgettable sea fishing trip! Experience is not required, old or young, feel free to join in for this healthy leisure activity. ...

Read more

The Vicognebos – Ostend

A little over 10 ha, Ostend’s Vicogne wood consists of young woodland and polder meadows, while the Vicognezwin retention pond, an old antitank trench and the Spuikom basin provide the area with much-needed water. A winding walk will give you a glimpse of the open polder grasslands while taking you through the woodland populated by a wide variety of small songbirds in spring. Bird lovers are definitely in for a treat along the Schietbaanstraat as the islands in the adjacent Spuikom welcome...

Read more

The Geuzenbos – Ostend

Once upon a time in the 17th century the woodland here was a castle domain. Now, only some tree trunks indicate where the building once stood. A wood with some history then, making it perfect for a walk!

Read more

Koninklijke Gaanderijen

The Royal Galleries were finished in 1905. They are approximately 400 m long and served to protect the middle classes from sun and rain during their walks. They connected the Royal Pavilion with the Wellington racing track. In the beginning of the thirties, the Thermae Palace was built next to it. These days it is a four-star hotel still breathing the Belle Époque atmosphere.

Read more

Venetian Galleries

In 1900, Belgian King Leopold II commissioned architect Henri Maquet to design the first royal gallery: an L-shaped, closed and covered walkway between the royal villa and a large octagonal salon. Nowadays it is known by the name ‘Venetian Galleries’, referring to Venice’s classicist architecture. When the Belgian royal family decided they would no longer use their coastal residence, Ostend was given the concession of the entire complex and resolved that the building be used for cultural...

Read more

O.-L.-Vrouw-ter-Duinenkerk

The Dune church was made a listed monument in 1946. The trapezoidal cemetery with lawns, weeping willows and shrubs followed suit in 1975. Many of the people who are buried here belonged to well-known families of Mariakerke. Leopold Passchyn was Mariakerke’s last mayor (they have even named a street after him in Mariakerke). James Ensor is also buried here, near his beloved Dune church, which he helped protect against demolition in the late 19th Century. Every year in April, they organise the...

Read more

Pages