Agenda: nightlife, nature and parks, james ensor and sight in Ostend

Het Groen Lint

Ostend has more to offer than just the sea. Did you know that Ostend has a surprisingly green city edge? To strengthen that green city edge, the City had a master plan developed to connect all green zones and landscapes: The Green Ribbon. This green ribbon forms an attractive 35 km loop for cyclists and walkers, connecting 15 existing and new green areas in the city outskirts, exactly like a necklace with 15 beads. ...

Read more

Railway station Oostende

Eclectic station complex consisting of a central entrance hall flanked by two square "Tower buildings". On the left side adjacent to the station the former "Hotel Terminus Maritime".

Read more

Sint-Petrus- en Sint-Paulus Church

The church St.-Petrus- and Paulus is a neogotic church built in 1907 which consists of beautiful stained-glass windows. The tomb of Louise-Marie, the queen of Belgium who deceased in Oostende, is situated in the chapel of the main altar (only to be visited upon request). The St.-Pieter's Tower, also called 'Peperbusse' in local dialect, is situated behind the church St. Petrus- and Paulus. Once it was part of the ancient St. Pieterskerk that burned down last century.

Read more

Lighthouse Lange Nelle

Lighthouse "Lange Nelle" : The famous lighthouse is the fourth one in the history of Oostende and the third one on this location. It was built between 1947 and 1949, rises 65 metres above the sea and guides the fishermen safely in the Ostend harbour. The lighthouse is not open to the public.

Read more

Japanese Garden

Take a stroll in this magnificent 'Kaiyusschiki-style' garden and marvel at the various landscapes which unfold before your eyes. No-one would expect this oasis of tranquillity and contemplation so near to the sea and Oostende’s vibrant city centre. During Belgian school holidays (with the exception of the Christmas and the spring break holidays), open every day.

Read more

Seamen's Memorial

The Seamen's Memorial (1953) can be found on the Zeeheldenplein. Each year the numerous fishermen from Oostende who died at sea are commemorated. This was also the location of the first lighthouse in Oostende (1771).

Read more

The Vicognebos – Ostend

A little over 10 ha, Ostend’s Vicogne wood consists of young woodland and polder meadows, while the Vicognezwin retention pond, an old antitank trench and the Spuikom basin provide the area with much-needed water. A winding walk will give you a glimpse of the open polder grasslands while taking you through the woodland populated by a wide variety of small songbirds in spring. Bird lovers are definitely in for a treat along the Schietbaanstraat as the islands in the adjacent Spuikom welcome...

Read more

Koninklijke Gaanderijen

The Royal Galleries were finished in 1905. They are approximately 400 m long and served to protect the middle classes from sun and rain during their walks. They connected the Royal Pavilion with the Wellington racing track. In the beginning of the thirties, the Thermae Palace was built next to it. These days it is a four-star hotel still breathing the Belle Époque atmosphere.

Read more

Venetian Galleries

In 1900, Belgian King Leopold II commissioned architect Henri Maquet to design the first royal gallery: an L-shaped, closed and covered walkway between the royal villa and a large octagonal salon. Nowadays it is known by the name ‘Venetian Galleries’, referring to Venice’s classicist architecture. When the Belgian royal family decided they would no longer use their coastal residence, Ostend was given the concession of the entire complex and resolved that the building be used for cultural...

Read more

Provinciedomein Raversyde

A diverse landscape of water, reed land, pastures, meadows, plantings and woodland, invites visitors to an exploratory walk. each season brings something new to discover: spring flowers, summery meadows, migratory birds in autumn and winter, visitors fill up the annual calendar. Walk through two world wars in bunkers and trenches … Glimpse into the life of the 15th-century fishing families of Walraversijde.

Read more

Pages