Agenda: museums and exhibitions, art, food and drinks, nature and parks, sport , sight and nightlife in Ostend

Exhibition 'Before the wave' curator Joost Declercq

Where:
House of Spilliaert
When:
04/04/20 to 07/06/20

Joost Declercq is confronting the art of Léon Spilliaert with the work of Luc Tuymans, Jan Vercruysse, Lili Dujourie and Cris Brodahl.

Read more

Mercator

Arctic traveller Adrien de Gerlache designed this three-master which was built in Scotland. The Mercator had only two commanders and made 54 voyages. In 1956 it repatriated the remains of Father Damien from Molokai. In 1960, it sailed into the harbour of Antwerp and in 1961, it was equipped as a museum ship. Since 1964, it has been the pearl in Ostend’s crown. Like to visit this attraction at a discount? Print your free Coast Pass now on www.kustpas.be/home/register

Read more

Het Groen Lint

Ostend has more to offer than just the sea. Did you know that Ostend has a surprisingly green city edge? To strengthen that green city edge, the City had a master plan developed to connect all green zones and landscapes: The Green Ribbon. This green ribbon forms an attractive 35 km loop for cyclists and walkers, connecting 15 existing and new green areas in the city outskirts, exactly like a necklace with 15 beads.

Read more

Dikke Mathille

The Leopold II-laan curves gracefully around the most famous sculpture of a woman in Oostende: De Zee (The Sea). Although Reclining Nude is another name for this lady the locals always refer to her as ‘Dikke Mathille’ (Fat Mathille). Grard emphasised the volume of the full, round forms. In De Zee he portrayed the opulence and sensuality of the sea in a female figure. Until 1963 the work of art adorned the Kursaal Casino.

Read more

Railway station Oostende

Eclectic station complex consisting of a central entrance hall flanked by two square "Tower buildings". On the left side adjacent to the station the former "Hotel Terminus Maritime".

Read more

Sint-Petrus- en Sint-Paulus Church

The church St.-Petrus- and Paulus is a neogotic church built in 1907 which consists of beautiful stained-glass windows. The tomb of Louise-Marie, the queen of Belgium who deceased in Oostende, is situated in the chapel of the main altar (only to be visited upon request). The St.-Pieter's Tower, also called 'Peperbusse' in local dialect, is situated behind the church St. Petrus- and Paulus. Once it was part of the ancient St. Pieterskerk that burned down last century.

Read more

Lighthouse Lange Nelle

Lighthouse "Lange Nelle" : The famous lighthouse is the fourth one in the history of Oostende and the third one on this location. It was built between 1947 and 1949, rises 65 metres above the sea and guides the fishermen safely in the Ostend harbour. The lighthouse is not open to the public.

Read more

Kursaal Oostende

The building dominates the view at the Albert I promenade. The Casino, a design by Leon Stynen (1953) stands on the spot where in 1875 the first casino already stood. The latter was destroyed during WWII. After the war it would still be eight years before the current building was erected. This strikingly large building can boast being the largest in Belgium and is a typical example of modernism. The eye-catchers are of course the murals by Paul Delvaux. On 17th December 2004, the renovated...

Read more

Japanese Garden

Take a stroll in this magnificent 'Kaiyusschiki-style' garden and marvel at the various landscapes which unfold before your eyes. No-one would expect this oasis of tranquillity and contemplation so near to the sea and Oostende’s vibrant city centre. During Belgian school holidays (with the exception of the Christmas and the spring break holidays), open every day.

Read more

Maria Hendrikapark

The Maria Hendrikapark is an area of about 45 ha situated south of the city centre. The park has a variety of different ponds, open grass areas, two playgrounds and the Koninginnehof with cafetaria and restaurant, rowing boats, pedal boats, a traffic park, baby-carts and a miniature golf course. It is also a paradise for joggers. The park is also called 'Het Bosje'.

Read more

Pages